Tuesday, July 21, 2009

The Mad Scramble to Costume College

Well, here I am, less than a week from leaving for California, and just getting started on the cutting and sewing of one costume for Costume College! Nothing like waiting until the last minute. Of course, the moved-up departure date isn't helping any. I could leave 3 or 4 days later, but Chris needs a trip to the beach. He's had a very dull summer, so we're leaving early for Santa Monica. After we have our beach time, his dad will come out, pick him up and drive back to Phoenix...whew!

Before all of that happens, I am working on the little details of my costume - shoes, hair, a small bag maybe. The sewing part is no big deal, but the shoes and hair may drive me crazy. With my oh so very straight hair, the late 1790's are a real challenge. It's a pretty safe bet that I won't be looking anything like any of the pictures from that time!

Shoes...oh my. Well, it was suggested that canvas jazz boots might make a pretty good imitation of late 18th/early 19th century footwear, so I ordered a couple of pairs, one white, one black. Dance shoe sizing tends to be 1 to 2 sizes off from street shoes, so I called a company and got their advise on sizing. Lucky me! The 2 pairs fit great and are really comfy. I'm not sure how exactly I'll use them, but here's a picture.


I also made a trip to Payless ShoeSource, seeking simple flats. I have 3 possibilities, the first of which is pictured here:



The other two are almost the same, minus the arch strap. One is a skinny black & white stripe - side to side on the foot. The last is a slightly sparkly, course-weave fabric in a beige/gold. None of these are perfect, but for last-minute options, one or two of them should be manageable.

I'm contemplating ways to improve them, for period purposes, but will have better ideas about that after the costume is finished. More on that, later today, tomorrow...all week no doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment