Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Moving right along...

Progress, slow but steady.

I got the interfacing layer for the stays cut out and sewn. I'll be darned if I can figure out how to fit myself, but it doesn't really seem to far off, so I'm going to gamble on it being ok. The outer and lining layers got cut, sewn and basted on either side of the interfacing. I'm ready for the eyelets, but will have to go to the hardware store in the morning to get a real awl or icepick. I just don't seem to have anything that will make enough of a hole for the hand-stitched eyelets. Here it is, waiting for eyelets, boning channels and boning, and binding. Actually, I really like it.

The chemise is finished. It's basic. The picture isn't very exciting, but finished is the key concept here.

So this evening, I was ready to cut the white-on-white stripe, but I'm having second thoughts about that gown. Instead, I cut the gray-green jacquard, to my own amazement! I'm not sure how well the fabric is going to work for this period, but I'm definitely going to find out.

Mid-way through the cutting out, I realized that I had misunderstood the gown assembly, and that I needed some lining. Luckily, I just happened to have a nice piece of dark green 100% cotton, acquired at Britex in San Francisco over 17 years ago. It should work well as the under layer of the skirt and the bodice lining. Nice to be able to shop in one's own stash.

As for the white stripe, I'm thinking maybe a pale silk satin under layer would be much better, but don't have the silk satin, so this would delay this gown until after Costume College. I don't want to do that, but will have to sleep on this one, think about it some more tomorrow. Maybe shop my stash once more too.

So I'm making progress. Four days until I leave for California. Four days to sew up, hopefully, 2 gowns. If they go well, I may try to squeeze in a really cute, novelty print chemise, just for grins and chuckles. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment